
In ten short and hair raising minutes, months of work and attention were gone. Gone. Gone. I was pretty sure there was a tornado coming our way as the hail hit the windows like shotguns being fired and the air filled with the shredded leaf debris of maples oaks and poplars. It thundered and then it rained and then it hailed, and then it just didn't stop. The road flooded, ice piled up on the deck, my garden was pounded into a slushee. And I kid you not, the mailman came and delivered the mail in the middle of the whole affair. (Our mailbox was filled with little leaf bits too.)


The most surprising thing was the smell when we finally ventured outside, pine and maple leaves. The fog hung out for hours, we all put sweatshirts and pants and raked debris and tried to distinguish the zinnias from the beans from the squash. I don't think any of them really stood a chance.
That was a squash.
That was the worlds biggest hosta. Was.


The boy thought it was the coolest thing ever, and he ate about three pounds of hail. It was all I could do to not run out and start planting more beans but I would have had to dig through ice to do it...guess I will wait until it melts.

That is a happy boy.


I guess the upside is that it is good sleeping weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment