Their written instructions were...not so much. Thankfully the woman who sews the fabric was there for two days to save our butts from many mistakes and possibly the need for mediation between the working masses.
We began with walls. I have been referring to this project as the diet house- as in building a house, lite. One cannot hope to complete a yurt without at least one knowledgeable person there, as we quickly discovered. Luckily we had many, and the process was relatively seamless. Have I mentioned that I love my friends?




While the walls went up another crew taped the roof insulation panels together.



And on to the compression ring that holds the rafters...By far the craziest part of this adventure. osha inspectors, do not look.






Finally the rafters. Oh, the rafters. Sweet rafters. There was some yelling, but not much. Only one that came crashing down, early on in the process, no injuries. Each one was named for a virtue that we wanted to bring into our home. Patience and courage, perseverance, love and compassion, honesty, trust, patience (made the list a few times) ...I think a few were named pain in the ass, and arrrgh, but those did not make the official list. 







More head scratching and a trip to the hardware store to buy and fabricate the five missing ones, and the day was done. At two in the afternoon. . Not what we had planned but it is what happens. With rain on the horizon for the next afternoon,we grudgingly quit for the day.
Look at this beauty. This is what our friends did for and with us. Love. I love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment